The main differences between SharePoint List and Library
1. A list is a collection of information that you share with team members.
Document libraries are collections of files that you can share with team members on a Web based on Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services. For example, you can create a library of common documents for a project, and team members can use their Web browsers to find the files, read them, and make comments.
2 We can attach multiple documents to one list item, but in document library there will be only one attachment.
3. In the List the title of the document is NOT indexed. So an end user would not be able to search on the title of the document. Example: I attached a document titled "Copy of Test SPDoc.doc" but after incremental indexing I get no results searching on the word "SPDoc." But we can perform searching by title in Document Library.
4. With a list we only can SPAttachmentCollection.Add(string, byte) only accepting a byte , means the attachment must fit entirely in one continuous block memory. It this is something you do with large file , your server memory may become fragmented.
With a document library we can SPFileCollection.add(string, stream) Ã¢â¬â The document library Accept a stream, means the content can be in memory, or disk or even a TCP/IP socket.
5. We can't display the name of the attached document in the List. We only see the paperclip that signifies the attachment. Whereas in document Library we are able to see Ttile of attachment or we can modify it.
6. We canÃ¢â¬â¢t check in and Check out in List whereas we can check in and check out in library.
7. We can have only major versioning in List whereas in document library we have both major and minor versioning.
7. We can publish a InfoPath Form Template in document library, and this problem arises when we submit the Form in different place