And I mean totally. Couldn't RDP to it, couldn't log in at the console, couldn't connect to DAC on SQL Server, couldn't remote reboot it via WMI, and all the SNMP agents on the machine stopped reporting data.
Our server is running SQL Server 2008 SP1 CU7 Enterprise x86 on Windows 2003 Enterprise x86. Last night I enabled FILESTREAM for the instance, which worked without any problem. This morning, I created a FILESTREAM filegroup for a database. Also no problem
there. Then I tried adding a FILE to the FILESTREAM filegroup. The ALTER DATABASE...ADD FILE query appeared to be taking an extremely long time to execute, but sys.dm_exec_requests didn't show anything unusual. Also, the directory I told it to use (a subdirectory
underneath the default data directory) had been created successfully, and there was a filestream.hdr file in it.
Then things started going wrong. Connections were timing out, I couldn't kill the query doing the ADD FILE, and eventually my RDP session froze dead in its tracks, along with pretty much everything else on the server. The Windows event logs mostly went quiet
at this point, except for the security log which tells me that Kerberos was still working fine oddly enough. The last thing in the system event log is the driver \Device\RsFx0103 coming online, which appears to be the FILESTREAM driver.
Eventually, I had to forcibly
View Complete Post