I'm having a problem getting an application to authenticate to a SQL 2008 server. The application is a 32-bit application that uses ADO.
Application works fine:
1) Against the SQL 2008 database, when running from an XP machine
2) Against the SQL 2008 database, when running from a Server 2008 x64 machine with Integrated Security specified in the connection string
Application fails to connect with an error "Login failed for user 'xxx'":
3) Against the SQL 2008 database, when running from a Server 2008 machine with SQL authentication specified (no Integrated Security). I reproduced on 2 different machines
4) Behavoir is the same regardless of whether I use the SQL Native Client or OLEDB provider
5) SQL is set up for mixed mode (SQL and Windows authentication)
6) I can connect to SQL from SSMS with both integrated and SQL authentication
7) In all my tests (1,2,3,4,6) I am hitting the same SQL server, the same database, with the same credentials.
8) The connection string that works is:
Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security="";Data Source=10.88.4.38;Password=MyPassword;User ID=MyUser;Initial Catalog=MyDB;
This seems to be a problem with using SQL authentication from a 32-bit ADO application on a Windows Server 2008
View Complete Post