I have been trying to develop a tool to do backup/restore of MS SQL Server using SQL Server VSS Writer. I can not get the differential backup working! I am just curious as to whether anyone ever made differential backup using VSS. Here is what I have been
1. Create a full backup and store files and the Backup component document associated with it.
2. Update the tables in the database.
3. Create a new backup by setting 'SetBackupState' as VSS_BT_DIFFERENTIAL
4. Now when adding the existing components to the Backup Component Document, I find the component's time stamp from the document in step 1, and then invoke it with 'SetPreviousBackupStamp'
5. Now after the snapshot is taken, I go through each of the component and invoke 'GetPartialFileCount' API. This always return the value 0. I am assuming if there is a change in an existing component, it should give a value greater than 0.
Am I missing something here? Do we need to start SQL Server VSS Writer using certain parameters or something? I tried different configurations including (Windows Server 2008/ SQL Server 2008)
View Complete Post