I need some clarification on the log shipping process.
DatabaseA resides on ServerA. I am shipping the logs to ServerB.
As per my understanding of the log shipping process I did the following:
- Created a share on DatabaseA (shareA)
- Created a share on DatabaseB (shareB)
- Backed up DatabaseA on ServerA using the SQL Mgmt Studio and restored it on ServerB
- Started LogShipping (backup job to shareA), (copy job to shareB), (restore from shareB)
My questions are:
- Is it ok that my backup share is on the primary database?
- The only files that seem to be copied to ServerB are .TRN files - is this correct? (reason for asking is that there is a .BAK file on ServerA in with the .TRN files) - should the .BAK be on ServerB too?
- Lastly, I set my schedule to keep 3 days worth of TL's for logshipping. If I don't do any other normal scheduled backups will I lose anything (or will the original database restored on ServerB + recent TL's from logshipping be sufficient?
Thanks in advance.
View Complete Post