This seems to be a common problem but I've tried everything I could find in all the posts on this topic with no luck.
The server is Windows Server 2008 running IIS7. The ASP.NET application worked fine but it used SQL Server 2008 Web Edition (10.0.2531) and my goal was to upgrade the Web Application from ASP.NET 2.0 to ASP.NET 4.0 and use SQL Express (10.50.1600).
Here are the confirmations/changes I've made while researching this issue:
1) SQL Server Express is running as Local System (it is on a domain controller)
2) sp_configure 'user instances enabled', 1... was already 1, but what the heck, did it again
3) enabled audit security logon events failure to see if it was a permissions problem
4) attached the mdb file in SSMS to insure it was ok, it is
5) removed the files in c:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS
(note, I removed the ones in my administrator user folder as there wasn't one for "local system"
6) And of course, it works fine on my developement machine, windows 7. :)
Any other suggestions how what I should try or procedures to troubleshoot??
View Complete Post