I tried installing standalone with SQL Express. From early on, I would find configuration issues in CA (the charming red bar in CA), dependencies, timer issues, farm account and service account issues, and once I turned on Enterprise features, it got worse.
I lost the ability to edit user profiles, I would loose access to certain features intermittently. So then I wanted to correct the situation, by installing AD afterwards. Lot's of fiddling, and server renames, and what have you. Finally, I decided to re-install
a VM from scratch.
That ended all the suffering - for now ;-)
Here is what I did:
This time, I installed W2K8R2, AD, Windows Updates, VS (which includes 3.51 framework), Office Plus, SPD32, SQL2k8R2 (full EP), and ran the SP Setup (prereqs first, then the install). Before I ran the SP Config Wizard, I added one regular Domain User Account
with "Delegate Control" of "Replicating directory changes". This user is not in the Administrators group. You add this account to your SQL logins with dbcreator and securityadmin roles, and you supply this account when running the SP Configuration Wizard for
a Full Farm install (still single computer). This is not exactly best practice, as you would add more service accounts (see also http://www.sharepointproconnections.com/article/sharepoint/Least-Privilege-Service-Accounts-for-
View Complete Post