The situation is as follows:
- Client is running SQL Server 2008 on a Windows 2008 Standard server
- HPServer1 is a member server in the domain
- Developers use HPServer1\Administrator account to manage server via SQL
Management Studio Express
- I do not know if the server was configured to authenticate in mixed-mode
or Windows-only mode
- I do not know the SA password (if there was one)
- HPServer1 is promoted to be a domain controller in the Windows domain
- Developers have lost the ability to manage the server via SQL Management
Studio Express because the HPServer1\Administrator user ID no longer exists
and they do not know the SA password
- No domain accounts with administrative rights are able to access the SQL
server for management purposes either.
- I demote the HPServer1 back to member server and set up the new local
Administrator account with the same password as before.
- The new HPServer1\Administrator is also unable to access the SQL server
via SQL Server Management Studio
- I downloaded and tried the MS SQL Password Unlocker tool from Digitial
River and was able to change the SA password in the Master database but the
database was still in accessible.
My question is what do we need to do next to regain management access to
View Complete Post