I have a Windows Service I created a while back for our Win2003/2008 32bit Servers, written in Visual Studio 2008, deployed via a VS2k8 Setup Project. Everything works great, installs fine, and runs as it should. There is no platform dependent code, it's all straight-up .Net Framework stuff, so we thought it should deploy to a Win2008 64bit Server just fine. But this seems not to be the case.
When I try to install the Service as is on the 64bit machine, the service and associated DLL's are installed to the "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" folder, but when you right click the Service itself and look at the properties, it is trying to find the .exe file in the "C:\Windows\System32" folder. This difference prevents the service from running, obviously.
If I change the Setup Project settings, set the Target Platform to "x64" and change in the File System screen to use the "System (64-bit) Folder" placing the files in there and re-run the setup.exe on the server.... now the files are correctly installed to the "C:\Windows\System32" folder, but the Service itself is not 'installed', that is it *does not* show up in the Services Manager.
Just for the giggles of it I tried to manually install the service using 'installutil.exe' in the .Net Fra
View Complete Post