I am an old school Client/Server developer and the creator of a 10year old business application (PowerBuilder/SQL Server) that is still used today by about 100 users. The application has about 100 tables, the largest table contains about 1,000,000 records.
I am looking for a platform by which I can upgrade this application to a more feature rich, technologically current environment. It seems like Sharepoint has some features that out of the box would add value to the users.
My Questions/Problems are:
1) Is Sharepoint a viable platform that can be used to replace a legacy Client/Server application.
2) I have tried to get handle on how I can get up to speed with Sharepoint development, but all I see are details, no big picture or how to get started. (A Wiki, Blog, Announcement, Calendar, Task or 5 column list of 100 items don't really constitute the
components of a business app)
3) Should I be starting with Infopath first to replace the data entry forms from the legacy app?
4) What is the best path for transitioning from a Client/Server Developer to the Sharepoint Developer?
5) Are there any online examples of a business application on a Sharepoint platform
Any help, direction or comments would be appreciated.
View Complete Post