I created a number of folder content types, adding several metadata fields to the default content type. I then created multiple document libraries that use those content types (as well as custom document content types). I did
not customize any of the forms. All was well. I then saved my site as a template, and created some new sites from that template.
Now weird stuff started to happen. For one of my content types, the "new" form lost the custom metadata fields. When making a new folder of this type, the form looks the same as the new form for a vanilla folder. But once it is created,
both the "edit" and "display" forms displayed all the fields correctly.
For another content type, I got the opposite behavior. The "new" form shows all the custom metadata fields, but the "edit" form only shows the vanilla folder fields. The "Display" form is fine. I can even pull up the Display form, verify
that all the expected fields are there, click the Edit button, and watch the form shrink to the reduced-field size.
It is as if the listformwebpart is selectively failing to acknowledge that the content type it is dealing with is anything other than Folder.