Firstly, we are using sharepoint foundation so Infopath forms are not an option for us.
We have a Visual Studio sharepoint project which deploys a complete sharepoint site. The site contains a number of external lists and we want to be able to create customised view/edit forms for these lists and add them to our Visual Studio project so they
can be deployed as part of the new site. The idea is that we can deploy the solution to a fresh site with a default set of forms which can then be customised for different implementations of the site.
Here's the steps we have been using to try and do this:
1. Deploy the base project (BDC) to the sharepoint site
2. Create external lists based on the BDC content types
3. Use Sharepoint Designer to create new edit/view forms for the lists and set these as the default forms for the list
3. Save the site as a template
4. Import the template into a new Visual Studio project and select the lists we require. This gives us a List Definition, a pages module (with element file), an elements file and a schema file (both for the List Instance).
5. We then add the contents of the imported project to our main solution as follows:
- Create a new List Definition (including List Instance)
- Copy the contents of the imported Elements.xml to the Elements file for our List Instance.
View Complete Post