I made a backup of SharePoint farm from 2010 and tried to restore on a dev server and kept getting this error. I looked at the versions of SharePoint on both servers, and they were identical: 14.0.4763.1000
I'm posting this although it is not a question, but a statement that might help someone else. It took a while to notice that there had been an upgrade on the original server that the new dev box did not yet have... not an SP, but more like a hotfix
In Central Admin, go to "Upgrade and Migration". Click on "Check product and patch installation status". Scroll down the page of results and see if there are any links to updates that have been installed on the original server that are not on
the new server, or vice-versa. I did find a link on my original server. Clicking on it opened the update page, so I copied the URL, went to my dev server, opened that page and installed the update, and voila!
View Complete Post