I am trying to make sure I fully understand how to scale out my small search server 2010 farm topology.
I understand that in 2010 a server is generic and flexible, providing any number of services and is not role specific (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/sharepoint2010setup/thread/A3CA629C-C006-4002-AACF-74FDBFD6F06D)
I have reviewed Microsoft's various Sharepoint Search 2010 PDF documentation for planning search deployments.
I seem to be confused on probably the easiest part of all this.
Here is my server architecture I would like to implement (typical small farm architecture):
- app-msss-3 query server, WFE, index partition 1, query component 1m
- app-msss-2 query server, WFE, index partition 1, query component 1
- app-msss-1 crawl server, hosts CA
- app-db (contains search DB instance)
Here are the steps I performed.
1. Install Search Server 2010 on app-msss-1 (farm install, complete), create farm
2. Setup CA and search center on app-msss-1
3. Install Search Server 2010 on app-msss-2 (farm install, complete), join existing farm
4. Add index partition to app-msss-2