I will try to explain this as best as I can.
All of the following changes were made within SharePoint Designer.
Initially I started out with a highly customized EditForm.aspx page.ÃÂ First thing I did was copy and paste the EditForm.aspx inside the same List, so to create a backup copy.ÃÂ On this page was a giant Custom List Form Web Part, I decided it would be best to divide this one giant web part into several smaller Custom List Form Web Parts (about 10) so I could fit some Data Form Web Parts in between.ÃÂ So I did this (took me about 3 hours), saved and decided to check it out.
I received the following error: "This page allows a limit of 200 controls and that limit has been exceeded"
After playing around for a while, I decided it was a lost cause and that it would be best for me just to revert back to the backup copy I had made.ÃÂ Checking the supporting files for this list, I could see that it was set to the most recent EditForm.aspx page with the apparent "excessive controls" so I changed it backÃÂ to my EditForm_BackUp.aspx.
After I did this I went to the siteÃÂ to make sure it was working and for whatever reason, when I went to the EditItem.aspx page from the AllItems.aspx page, it took me to the default.aspx page of the entire site collection.
I went back into SPD to check on the EditForm_BackUp.aspx and the MainÃÂ W
View Complete Post