I enabled Excel Services and added a Excel Web Access viewer to my page. It's just a simple spreadsheet (which incidentally works fine on my standalone development server) that displays the error "The workbook cannot be opened." when the page loads. The trusted
file locations are set up appropriately. We are using Kerberos authentication.
My event viewer showed this "Critical" event (ID: 3760):
SQL Database 'Prod_WSS_Content' on SQL Server instance 'servername' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
Cannot open database "Prod_WSS_Content" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'domain\user'.
In other words, the service account that ECS was running under did not have permission to the content database. So I granted the user read permission on the database. Then I got the same error and this "Error" level event in the event viewer (ID: 5617):
There is a compatibility range mismatch between the Web server and database "Prod_WSS_Content", and connections to the data have been blocked to due to this incompatibility. This can happen when a content database has not been upgraded to be within the compatibility
range of the Web server, or if the database has been upgraded to a higher level than the web server. The Web server and the database must be upgraded to
View Complete Post