I have come across a bug in the ODBC driver for SQL Server when working against SQL Server 2008 64-bit with TDE where tables contain text-datatypes. We concluded that it is a bug after testing a simple SQL query using Microsoft ODBC test tool (odbcte.exe)
and the workaround for us was to start using the "SQL Native Client 10" instead. However I would like to share this information if someone else come across this problem.
Below I will describe the problem in more detail. The table has three columns with text datatypes and we use a simple select query against this table to return about 10 rows of data but SQLFetch hangs before all data is returned. It is unfortunately
very difficult to reproduce the errror since even a very small change will change the behaviour. If we for example add or remove a column to the select statement then the problem will dissappear, if we call SQLBindCol before instead of after SQLExecute
(or the other way around) the problem will dissapear, if we change the WHERE-clause to fetch a different set of rows the problems will dissapear. We have seen the problem though with a number of different SQL queries so it is reproducable.
View Complete Post