This article will discuss about Polymorphism in object oriented programming. Watch our 500 videos on Azure, WCF, WPF, LINQ, Design Patterns, WWF, Silverlight, UML @ http://www.questpond.com/
What is Polymorphism?
- Polymorphism is one of the primary characteristics (concept) of object-oriented programming.
- Poly means many and morph means form. Thus, polymorphism refers to being able to use many forms of a type without regard to the details.
- Polymorphism is the characteristic of being able to assign a different meaning specifically, to allow an entity such as a variable, a function, or an object to have more than one form.
- Polymorphism is the ability to process objects differently depending on their data types.
- Polymorphism is the ability to redefine methods for derived classes.
Types of Polymorphism
- Compile time Polymorphism
- Run time Polymorphism
Compile time Polymorphism
- Compile time Polymorphism also known as method overloading
- Method overloading means having two or more methods with the same name but with different signatures
Example of Compile time polymorphism
Run time Polymorphism
- Run time Polymorphism also known as method overriding
- Method overriding means having two or more methods with the same name , same signature but with different implementation
Example of Run time Polymorphism
You can find source code at the bottom of this article.