In this article I would like to give an overview of the 3 Types of Apps in SharePoint 2013.
3 Types of Apps
The 3 types of Apps are:
- Immersive Apps (Full Page)
- App-Parts (Similar to web parts)
- Custom UI Actions App (Menu items, Ribbon buttons etc.)
Immersive Apps are Full Page Apps which takes the entire page view.
App Parts are smaller pieces integrated within a page using IFrames. Multiple App Parts can be integrated to a page. They can be compared with web parts.
You can use the Edit Page > Insert App-Part option to include App Parts to your page.
Custom UI Actions Apps
These are custom action components like menu items, ribbon buttons as shown below.
Overview of Apps
- Apps are self-contained piece of functionality
- Apps can replace Sandboxed Solutions
- Apps can be published to the world through Office Store
- App Catalog Configuration is required to enable Apps
- Apps supports Client Side Object Model or Server Side Object model depending on the Hosting
- Apps can be hosted as
- Auto hosted
- Provider hosted
- SharePoint hosted
- SharePoint hosted Apps only supports CSOM through Scripting language and REST
In this article we have explored the 3 types of Apps.