In the world of SharePoint, occasionally we need to work with other worlds too.
For example: Migration is such an area of work.
What is Migration?
Migration is the process of moving from one computing system to another.
For example Migration can be:
1. SharePoint older-version to SharePoint newer-version
2. Another CMS to SharePoint
3. SharePoint to Another CMS
4. SharePoint On Premise to SharePoint Online
What will be the Migration Steps?
Migration requires the following aspects:
1. Analyzing existing environment
2. Capturing migration elements
3. Creating a migration plan
4. Creating a target staging environment
5. Performing migration against staging environment
6. Analyze the readings
7. Optimize strategies
8. Declare migration dates to stake holders
9. Take production to offline
10. Perform final migration
11. Validate migration
12. Take production to online
Following are the screen shots of a Migration Template to capture information about source system. You are free to download it.
Screen shots from the template.
Please note that in a typical scenario, automated/manual migration happen from source to staging & then automated migration to production.
A good automation tool I can recommend is Sharegate. Spending for automation tool is worth if the no-tool cost is higher than tool-cost.
In this article we have explored migration overview and a shareable template.