SharePoint Apps overview
SharePoint 2013 introduced the apps.
- The apps for SharePoint provide a new method to deliver specific information or functionality to a SharePoint site.
- SharePoint 2013 introduces the "Cloud app model", It enables you to create a apps
- Microsoft will host and control a public SharePoint Store, where developers will be able to publish and sell their custom apps for SharePoint.
- SharePoint apps are self-contained functionality that extend capabilities of SharePoint web application
- Apps are essentially web applications which runs "outside" of SharePoint host web
- It's easy to use, stand-alone app that solves a specific end-user or business need
- We can use any languages for creating the apps such as HTML, PHP, .NET & web development tool etc...
- By using "NAPA" we can create a SharePoint apps
- We can use Client Object Model (CSOM) to talk to SharePoint
.NET for Synchronous
Example: we can create the custom branding and themes for SharePoint 2013 and share them with rest of the users with office market place.
Types of apps
- SharePoint 'On-premise' hosted apps - An app is hosted entirely internally on a locally installed SharePoint environment.
- Remote apps hosted by Azure - Apps are hosted in Microsoft's developer cloud service Azure.
- Provider hosted apps - Apps can be hosted anywhere, and written in almost any language.
Advantages of apps
- Different Hosted options.
- Multiple development platforms supported for creating Apps
- Advantage is that the Code is out of SharePoint
- SharePoint apps are capable enough to replace the most of farm and sandbox solutions. Apps are mainly providing the more advantages for,
Third party app Developers
Advantages to Users
- Users can easily add the new functionality to the SharePoint System
- More apps are available in SharePoint app store as compared with sandboxed solutions
- Upgrade supports are available to users
- Users can get the apps through app catalog (within the organization) and app store (outside organization).
- Apps provides easiest installation to the users
- Users can also be reassured by the fact that all apps in the app store have been approved by Microsoft to meet coding, interface and integrity standards.
- End user process of installing is very simple
Advantages to Administrators
- Reduction of server outages and downtown
- Apps are executed outside the environment
- Apps are very less load and safer compare to the sandboxed solutions
- The single biggest advantage for administrators of SharePoint systems is control
- Admins can Monitor apps
Advantages to Third parties
- The central store means more effective use can be made of any marketing and advertising efforts
- The technical aspects of the app model also make life easier for many developers, allowing them to write apps in different languages
- Visual studio 2012 supports app project templates
- Microsoft also operates a revenue sharing model for the app store
Disadvantages of apps
- Apps infrastructure is very clunky and in some case unrealistic to implement
- Apps are very primitive and rudimentary
- Corporate catalog is paid or needs to be purchased
- The new App model brings a lot more cross-server communication with it. Will this impact the performance
Apps for SharePoint overview
In this article we have explored apps advantages and drawbacks of apps in SharePoint 2013.