What is List
A list is used to store data across column in a separate row. It's like a table in database and spreadsheet in Excel. We have different type of fields in list as same like database. They are,
· Text (Single/ Multiline)
- Image and so on.
We have an option to get Lookup field from another list and also in the same list. We may have Views also. SharePoint provides some views to show the data. We can able to customize the view. We can able to create list workflow using SharePoint designer. Site Security has inherited for list. Hope you got some idea about list. Let see how to create a list.
Stages to Create a List
Go to Site Content in your SharePoint site. You may find Add an App there.
We can able to see default / custom list template while clicking Add an App. Then Choose Custom List type to create a list.
Will show the dialog with naming option for list while clicking Custom List. I have given the name "ProjectTemplete".
List has created on your site and shown at Site Content with new highlighter.
That's all you created a list with default columns Title, Created, CreatedBy, modified, ModifiedBy. Let us see how to create a new fields for list.
Creating Fields for List
Go to List Setting in ribbon.
Now you are in List Setting page. You have several setting section here.
- General Settings
- Permission and Management
Let us see short notes about each section.
We will have some settings here. There are,
- List name, description and navigation - It's given the options to set up the name, description and navigation (Model pop up/ normal view).
- Versioning settings - We'll set up the Approval, Version History here
- Advanced Settings - Will setup some advance setting like Item- level permission, Attachment, search and so on
- Rating Settings - We have an option to setup rating for list
- Audience target settings - we'll setup list will be shown for some users
Permission and Management
- Delete a list - Its given an option to delete a list
- Save a list template - In SharePoint, we have an option to save the list as template and use it in other SharePoint sites
- Permission for this List - You may find some option to setup the permission here
- Workflow settings - You can see Workflows which is configured for list. And you have an options to Add and Remove
- RSS Settings - We'll setup the RSS feeds for list.
You may find some default views here. Also we have a Create View, this is used to create customized view of the list.
Finally we came to our section J . We can able to see the default columns of list here with create column option.
We will redirect to create column page while clicking Create Column. We need to setup column with name and type.
I have given TemplateID which is Single line of Text Type. Then, Click OK at the Bottom. Now we are ready to enter the new row with customized column
Add a New Entry
Now we will see how to add a new entry in SharePoint list. We have three options to enter the new entry
Click New Item on the ribbon and feed the new entry in New Item page.
Click new item at top of the grid view. Its also redirect us to new entry screen.
That's all. Now we are all got the knowledge about SharePoint List.
I have gained some knowledge about lists in SP 2013. Happy Learning!!! J