Now I will backup AdventureWorks database on BKKSQL2005 which runs Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to a file.
Step 1 : Connect to source server. Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and connect to your database.
Step 2: Right-click on the AdventureWorks database. Select Tasks -> Backup.
Step 3 : On Back Up Database window, you can configure about backup information. If you're not familiar these configurations, you can leave default values. Here are some short descriptions.
- Database - a database that you want to backup.
- Backup type - you can select 2 options: Full and Differential. If this is the first time you backup the database, you must select Full.
- Name - Name of this backup, you can name anything as you want.
- Destination - the file that will be backup to. You can leave as default. Default will backup to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup".
- Click OK to proceed backup.
Step 4 : Wait for a while and you'll see a pop-up message when backup is finished.