Most of the time while working with SharePoint Designer(SPD) 2010
we must have faced this error that while opening any page or connecting to any site it gives this pop up this
soap:Server was unable to process request. ---> Value does not fall within the expected range
In order to proceed further we need to come to conclusion on what is the issue. The error tells that server was not able to understand the request and hence no response, only error.
SPD does not open the site with name it was originally defined. For example, the site was created as http://machine_name:3000/, but SPD connects it as http://localhost:3000/
SPD should connect the site with name/url defined at its creation. In order to do this we have change the alternate access mapping of site which we are connecting using SPD.
- Go to "Central Administration"
- Select "System Settings"
- Select "Configure alternate access mappings"
- Select "Add internal URLs"
- In Add internal URLs screen select "Intranet" as Zone from drop down list
Note: Zone is depending on type of alternate access mapping you have chosen, it could be your internet site, intranet portal, etc.
- In case you directly want to jump to Alternate Access Mapping you can use following URLhttp://server:port/_admin/AlternateUrlCollections.aspx
This will solve your problem(s)