This is some thing which is very weird and unusual when you face this kind of error which will make your life so painful.
I was installing Sharepoint 2010, ok not just sharepoint 2010 but any other software and I was getting this error that
Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this.
And it was like so frustrating that I feel like re-installing my windows again. But, fortunately that was not the case. In order to get rid of this error one has complete any or all of the following actions
- On the system front
- Try scanning you system with any anti-virus or anti-spy ware
- Using disk cleaner provided by windows or ccleaner try cleaning your windows drive
- Reboot (as it is Microsoft can't help it with this option)
- If you still was unable to get rid if it then type "services.msc" in start window and hit enter to see Services screen and locate "Windows Installer" service, stop and restart the service, this should help
- On Windows task manager
- If methods in the step 1 doesn't help then go to task manager by right clicking on taskbar and select "Start Task Manager" and search for "msiexec.exe", once located end this process(s) and try installing any software
- Locate following registry key
- Remove "InProgress" key if any
This will help you to get rid of that weird error.