Main Difference between MOSS and WSS.
WSS is foundation and MOSS is optional add-on. You cannot install MOSS of itself. If you try to do this, you will be requested to install WSS first.
Characteristics of WSS
- It is a Web Based Application
- It stores all information in an MS SQL database.
- It displays information using web Parts.
- It comes with site templates.
What WSS does not have?
- There is no support for indexing and Searching.
- It does not have advanced intranet features, such as targeted information and content management.
- It has no record management.
- It cannot display InfoPath forms in Web Browser.
- It cannot display MS Excel spreadsheet as Web Part.
- It comes with less than 10 Web parts.
- It cannot Read and Write to External Database.
So to achieve all above task which WSS does not have, MOSS came into action.
Use global search functionality to find any type of information regardless of type and location.
Target information to one or more User Group.
Use Advanced Content Management.
Import User Data from Active Directory.
Use RSS web part to list information fetched from RSS feeds.
Give each SharePoint user a Personal Web Site.
Search, display content from external Database.
Comparison of Built in Feature of SharePoint
|File and Document Management
|External Data access
When you, open Central Admin Page. This is administration page for SharePoint. When you click on SSP , that will open specific admin page for MOSS.
SSP is nothing but collection of configured service to work with MOSS.