.NET Tutorials, Forums, Interview Questions And Answers
Welcome :Guest
Sign In
Win Surprise Gifts!!!

Top 5 Contributors of the Month
david stephan
Gaurav Pal

Home >> Forum >> .NET Framework >> Post New QuestionBookmark and Share Subscribe to Forum

Where is GAC Location in windows?

Posted By: priya     Posted Date: February 01, 2010    Points:2   Category :.NET Framework

Where is GAC(Global assembly cache) located in windows operating system. I am using XP as my operating system.

Author: Sagar Pardeshi             
Posted Date: February 01, 2010     Points: 5   

Hi priya.

it's so easy

go->start->run->type assembly enter

directly open GAC.

Author: Lalij Mer             
Posted Date: February 02, 2010     Points: 5   

in win xp go this path

more info

Please Check my answer if you help....
Thank You...

Author: Lalij Mer             

Each computer on which the common language runtime is installed has a machine-wide code cache called the 'Global Assembly Cache'. The global assembly cache (or GAC as it is commonly known) stores assemblies specifically designated to be shared by several applications on the computer. The global assembly cache is located in 'Windows/WinNT' directory and inherits the directory's access control list that administrators have used to protect the folder.

Assemblies installed in GAC should adhere to a specific versioning scheme that will allow them for side-by-side execution (multiple versions of the same assembly can be maintained in the GAC) of different code versions.

Shared Assemblies including all the important .NET System assemblies implementing the Framework Class Library reside within GAC. The GAC was originally called Fusion Cache and is implemented using Fusion.dll in .NET Framework.

Assemblies placed in the GAC must have the same assembly name and file name (not including the file name extension). For example, an assembly with the assembly name of 'myAssembly' must have a file name of either 'myAssembly.exe' or 'myAssembly.dll'.

Please Check my answer if you help....
Thank You...

Author: Sagar Pardeshi             

lalit i have post easy way to open GAC.

Author: krishnavenikaladi             
Posted Date: February 06, 2010     Points: 5   

You must Sign In To post reply
Find more Forum Questions on C#, ASP.Net, Vb.Net, SQL Server and more Here
Quick Links For Forum Categories:
ASP.NetWindows Application  .NET Framework  C#  VB.Net  ADO.Net  
Sql Server  SharePoint  OOPs  SilverlightIISJQuery

Hall of Fame    Twitter   Terms of Service    Privacy Policy    Contact Us    Archives   Tell A Friend